Website

Website
Visit Noree's website

Monday, March 26, 2012

Review: THE SIN COLLECTOR




This is from another author I met on Twitter. She's bundle of funny. Check out @JessFortunato. Anyway, I was given a copy of this book to review.

Premise: (Taken form Goodreads) "The Sin Collector" follows the life of Liliana, a born Sin Collector. She has spent over 100 years absorbing people's sins so they may rest in peace come death. However when she meets another Collector, one who insists everything she has been taught is a lie, Liliana must make her way from Sunny L.A. all the way to the streets of Madrid. Searching for answers to a question we all share. Why are we here? The friends and enemies she makes along the way only seem to blur the line between right and wrong. Can Liliana fight the Castus, an organization bent on killing off every Sin-Eater? Should she trust her head or her heart when the two most important men in her life are fighting alongside her?

Then there is the worst question of all, who will be left when the dust settles.

The Good:

Voice: I loved the voice in this series. It was humorous, yet it didn't get overly snarky like a lot of books. I had several laugh out loud moments, such as Lily's whole balance and bike issues. The voice had a balance of light and dark moments when appropriate. It kept me interested.

Characters: I love Liliana. Yes, at times she can be immature for her age, but I think she is trying to cling to that last bit of innocence. I can really see this when she is with another character Juliana. The secondary characters are great as well. Each has their own personality and motivations. Jessica kept me guessing at who was the traitor for most of the book.

Story and Worldbuilding: The Sin Collector concept is something I have rarely seen. I think i have only heard of another movie perhaps a book that had anything like it. (I'll have to look those up again). Anyway, You know how we've talked about wanting to see a different type of race in Modern Fantasy. Well, here is your chance to read about one.

Themes: The main theme I saw through the book was finding home, whereever home was. I love this theme and Jessica has pulled it off. The story also touches on good and evil. Not just good vs. evil, but also intention vs action. If you have good intentions does that justify your actions?

The Bad:

Pacing: I loved faced paced books but I felt the pacing was little too fast on this. It is a short book, so it is like taking a bite and it's done.

Details: I felt the author could have shown more detail in certain points in the story. . I think this could have also helped with the pacing and gave us a deeper look at the characters. I had a few moments of confusion during the story, such as: "Wait, she on the ground? I thought she was standing." or "Where did she get that knife?" These were very few, but could have been cleaned up by going into more detail. Also, I would have loved for Jessica to go into the history of Sin Collectors more. I'm hoping she will in the next book.

Overall: Get this book. It was unique and entertaining!

Check out Jessica's page for the Sin Collector here.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Sin Collector Noree! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sound of this book! It's so great to see an author tackle something different for fantasy, and anything with a hint of humor in it is a "win" to me. Can't wait to check this out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great book. Let us know what you think when you finish.

    ReplyDelete